Wrinkles (Arrugas) at EU Film Showcase
Filmmaker Ignacio Ferreras brings Paco Roca’s award-winning graphic novel to the big screen in this exquisitely rendered animated film.
One of the most accomplished Spanish films, from any genre, of recent years.
Neil Young, The Hollywood Reporter
It´s funny, it´s sad, it´s sweet, it´s heartbreaking. It´s brilliant.
Based on Paco Roca´s comic of the same title (2008 National Comic Prize), WRINKLES is a 2D animated feature-length film for an adult audience. Wrinkles portray the friendship between Emilio and Miguel, two aged gentlemen shut away in a care home. Recent arrival Emilio, in the early stages of Alzheimer, is helped by Miguel and colleagues to avoid ending up on the feared top floor of the care home, also known as the lost causes or “assisted” floor. Their wild plan infuses their otherwise tedious day-to-day with humour and tenderness, because although for some their lives is coming to an end, for them it is just beginning.
- Saturday, November 17 at 3:05PM
- Sunday, November 18 at 5:20PM
- Genre: Animation. Spain, 2011, 89 minutes.
- Directed by Ignacio Ferreras
- Script: Ángel de la Cruz, Paco Roca, Ignacio Ferreras, Rosanna Cecchini. Based on the comic Arrugas, by Paco Roca. Published by Delcourt/Astiberri
- Character Design: Paco Roca
- Music: Nani Garcia
- Sound: Carlos Faruolo
- Line Producer: Dani Martínez
- Production Manager: Mariam Seoane
- Animation Supervisor: Baltasar Pedrosa
- Executive Producers: María Arochena, Ángel de la Cruz, Toni Marín, Tono Folguera, Daniel Martínez
- Producers: Manuel Cristóbal, Oriol Ivern
- Directed by: Ignacio Ferreras
Wrinkles is part of the AFI European Union Film Showcase. Now in its 25th year, the festival continues in its well-established tradition of bringing the best in European cinema to Washington audiences – over the past 25 editions of the Showcase, more than 800 films have had their Washington, DC-area premieres, including many now considered classics.